16 February 2012

DSMA-15 Feb 2011

I got distracted and forgot that this was yesterday, but after reading the questions, I feel like 140 characters isn't enough to answer each question anyway. So, I figured I'd ramble here!

#Q 1. What would you do if a relative or close friend was diagnosed with diabetes? #dsma

I've actually gotten to experience this from both sides! My older brother was diagnosed before me, and my younger brother was diagnosed after me.

I think the main thing to keep in mind is to let them take the diagnosis at their own pace and to offer assistance, a should to cry on, or what they need, but not force it on them.

My younger brother has lived in a world where his older siblings have had diabetes for as long as he can remember (even though I was diagnosed after he was born), so to him, diabetes was normal and cool. He hasn't wanted the support group and he wanted to jump in and be just like us--testing and pumping and all that jazz. He does occasionally want someone to talk to, because honestly parents and relatives can't get it, but this is all offered on a "if you want to basis".

#Q 1.5 Would your action change depending on what type of diabetes? #dsma

I don't think it would, over all. Yes, the different types have different action plans, but it still sucks. If they were asking about actual medical things, then I'd probably have to do research, but that's for all diabetics. I want to make sure I have my facts straight.

#Q 2. What would you do if you overheard someone taunted about having diabetes? #dsma

Well, this is going to sound weird, but it really depends on how I'm doing. With anxiety and depression, confrontations are sometimes easy, other times the thought of seeing another person makes me burst into tears and I want to hide away. I'd like to think that at the very least I'd try and do something to comfort the person, maybe even stand up for them.

#Q 3. Have you or your child been taunted or discriminated against because of diabetes? #dsma

Yes, unfortunately.

#Q 4. What actions did you take to stop the taunting/ discrimination? #dsma

If I tried to stand up for myself, it got worse. If I tried to do anything, it got worse. The only way it got better was by ignoring them and avoiding those people like the plague.

#Q 5. What would you do if you had 10 minutes to talk to the President about diabetes? #dsma


I would try to explain that all forms of diabetes need research. Even amongst people who have the same type of diabetes, there is so much variation in the day to day lives of a person with diabetes. You can do the same thing, day after day, and get different results each day. Research to help increase the quality of life of people with diabetes is paramount, and many different options need to be explored.



So, there you have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment