29 February 2012

February DSMA Blog Carnival

This post is my February entry in the DSMA Blog Carnival.  If you’d like to participate too, you can get all of the information at http://diabetessocmed.com/2012/february-dsma-blog-carnival/
What can we do to help stop depression from hitting our community during the winter months?

After last week's DSMA, which I elaborated on my response in my last post, I saw how many other PWD are affected by depression. And something kinda odd happened.

Even though we're dealing with the lying bastard that is depression, we're not alone. There are people who understand what I'm going through, people fighting the same fight, and that made me feel hopeful. I am not alone. You are not alone. We are not alone. I know it sounds stupid, but this was an epiphany for me.

I have my family support system, and they are the best thing in all of time and space, but they don't always comprehend. It's liberating to know just how not alone I am in this fight, that there are so many people slaying their own dragons, and we can help each other through this.

But I guess this is supposed to be a post about tips and tricks to fight the lying bastard, as per the blog carnival prompt. So, here we go.

1. You are not alone.

2. Your fellow PWD are here to help you.

3. Family and friends, as much as they'll never know the hell that depression puts you through, sometimes physical hugs, shoulders to cry on, and having someone physically there are just the things needed.

4. It's okay to feel like crap. Diabetes is not easy. Life isn't easy. You are allowed to have time and places to vent.

5. You are allowed to be happy. (I think this is the hardest for me)

6. You do not have to settle for something.

7. You are allowed to have fun and be silly. This could be anything from playing with Lego bricks, to looking at adorable pictures, to tickling someone (who is willing to participate), to singing in the car or shower, to dancing like no one is watching, to taking silly pictures of holding twine or spatulas, to just reading a good book, and everything in between.

8. You are allowed to love.

9. You are worthy of being loved.

10. You are allowed to ask for help.

No comments:

Post a Comment