11 April 2012

Support

For the April DSMA blog carnival, the question is
Describe your ideal diabetes “support group”? What would you discuss?
I'll be honest. I love the DOC. It's my kind of group. I'm rather shy in real life, so the internet is awesome for introverts like me. I like mulling things over before sharing them, and I like having the internet time buffer for that.

That being said, some things just need to be done in person, face to face. Hugs. Hugs are a face to face thing. I can offer all the e-hugs and internet yummies, but real life hugs and tangible gifts always trump the electronic ones.

Having chronic conditions is a complicated thing, and not just all the medical minefields. It's a pain in the butt. You're supposed to accept it, even rejoice in it. No one, besides your chronic condition comrades, gets what it's like to have that disease.

I love my friends and family, but I can't talk to all of them about my conditions. It will more than likely turn into one of the following:
  1. You should try X because X will cure you! And it's your fault for not being cured by now because you should have tried X ages ago.
  2. Awkward silence
  3. So...ummm...that's absolutely terrifying. Are you going to die?
When I feel the need to rant about getting the first test strip out of the container, the non d-people just aren't going to get it. We I need to celebrate that I'm 100 mg/dL after eating pizza, the non d-people just aren't going to get it. When I need to cry because I've had to change my site five times in a day, the non-d people just aren't going to get it. When I need a hug but I want to punch anyone in the face that gets too close because my bg has been in the 400's and just isn't coming down, the non-d people just aren't going to get it.

Ideally, we would be able to laugh, to cry, to celebrate, to be angry, to be scared, to offer support, to ask for and offer advice, and to most of all walk that fine line of "This totally sucks, but I'm glad I know you", but we'd also be able to talk about things non-d related. We are people with diabetes, yes, but we are people first. I want a group of people, a group of friends who at least comprehend the emotional and physical toll that this disease takes.


This post is my April entry in the DSMA Blog Carnival. If you’d like to participate too, you can get all of the information at http://diabetessocmed.com/2012/april-dsma-blog-carnival-2/

No comments:

Post a Comment