17 May 2012

D-Blog Week: Fantasy Diabetes Device - Thursday 5/17

Honestly, my creative juices aren't flowing on this one. I've become pretty tolerant of all my cyborg parts.

I love my Freestyle Lite with the zippy butterfly strips, the little landing light, and the super small sample size, since I'm not a bleeder. I wish it was more accurate, though. I would love improved accuracy.

I like my pump. I mean, as I said yesterday, I hate the alarms. Someone at Animas please fix the alarms. I would love being able to have some sort of alarm annoyance scheduler and then an override function. Like, I don't want the stupid "OMG! Your cartridge is empty! You're going to DIE!" alarm when I'm in a meeting or taking a test. I have a replacement ready, I just can't do it at that exact moment. Let me silence the stupid thing for a set amount of time. Like, say, until the meeting or test is over. Let me schedule it to be loud and obnoxious at night so I actually get up and deal with it, but not at the annoyance level it's currently at. Seriously, tone it down like 5 notches. Also, seriously don't make me scroll in the calculated dose. Whoever decided to make me dial in every since stupid bolus needs to be slapped. I know it only takes a few seconds (if I'm paying attention...I often over dial, then under dial, then over dial...), but when my hands are in extreme pain, to the point that holding the pump makes me think of amputating my hands, this is an extreme annoyance.

Other than those two things, I really can't think of anything else I dislike about my pump. I like having the meter remote, especially when I'm wearing a dress or pants with no pockets (seriously, fashion designers, why are pants for females equipped with the most ridiculously impractical pockets?!). I don't use it as a meter, because as I mentioned before, I can't bleed enough for the One Touch test strips, but I like having the option. I like the increments, the calculators, the food database...

I don't mind doing Symlin shots. I mean, it would be totally cool if it could be integrated into my pump, but I don't view it as the end of the world. I like the idea of the pen timer cap thingies that have a timer to tell you how long it's been since you (theoretically) gave yourself an injection, but I'm not sure if they will fit the Symlin pens.

I tried a CGM years ago, when they were first becoming more popular, and it was a miserable experience because it was like the most inaccurate thing for me, but I've been informed that they've fixed many of the problems, and I'm willing to give it another go.

I know that all these things have to be spread out, which means taking up a lot of real estate. The Symlin shots need to be at least 2 in away from insulin injection sites (or something like that...I'd have to look at the insert to get the specific wording and I'm too lazy to look it up or go get it), and the CGM sensor has to be a certain distance away from infusion sites (from my understanding). Maybe if there was like a patch thing...like a cross between the Omni-Pod and the Ortho Evra patch? That would still be a big thing, though. Just to be clear, I'm not talking about giving everyone BC through their pump, but rather just having the layout be something flexible, but you probably already knew that and this is a pointless clarification.

Oh! I would like more connectivity between devices, though. It would be cool if I could get all my cyborg parts to talk to each other, or even just one device that would act like a dispatcher. I already carry enough crap, so that would be nice.

I know we're limited by some of our current technology. The linear actuators for insulin pumps have to be a certain size to ensure accuracy and generate enough force. The insulin cartridges have to be a certain size to make the infusion sites worth while. There is always variability and variance with testing and everything. Stats class, along with my Transmission of Information class, made me realize how much I hate noise and how much of a pain in the butt accuracy is. Speaking of that transmission of info class, receivers, transmitters, and encoders have physical dimensions. There are physical limitations to what can be done.

I would much rather have the current technology perfected and tweaked than roll out the next big thing while ignoring the current problems. I mean, don't get me wrong, I like new gadgets, but I also love accuracy and dependability. The next new toy might as well go in the trash if I can't trust the outputs or trust that it will work on a daily basis.

4 comments:

  1. Your last paragraph is really wise. I agree that we need our stuff to be accurate and dependable! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I agree with Sysy your last paragraph is really wise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Sysy & Pearlsa re: the last paragraph because I'm also a big fan of accuracy & dependability!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can "blame" having to dial in your doses on Minimed. It is proprietary technology for them (in their Bolus Wizard) so they will not let the other pump companies use it.

    And I agree - all the bells and whistles in the world won't help if the technology isn't accurate!

    ReplyDelete