13 May 2013

Diabetes Blog Week 2013 Day 1: Share and Don’t Share

This is the day 1 post for Diabetes Blog week from me! You can get more information here.

Often our health care team only sees us for about 15 minutes several times a year, and they might not have a sense of what our lives are really like. Today, let’s pretend our medical team is reading our blogs. What do you wish they could see about your and/or your loved one's daily life with diabetes? On the other hand, what do you hope they don't see? 

Dear Doctors,

I know you are all very busy and Very Important People (TM). And I understand. You have fancy degrees and spent years and blood and tears and sweat to get those fancy degrees. And I understand that there's a fundamental lack of doctors and funding in order to give me, and people like me, more than an hour of your time (if that) each year. And I appreciate that hour, I really do.

But, let's pretend for a few minutes that you have the time and energy and resources to get to know your customers better, because that's what we are: customers.

I don't want to be shamed by you for eating the fridge at 4AM when I drop down to 45.

I don't want to be shamed by you for eating food with carbs.

I don't want to be shamed by you for eating. Period.

So I eat the pint of Ben and Jerry's every once in a while when I've had a really bad depression day.

So I eat french fries and pizza and cereal.

So it messes with my blood sugars.

I check. I correct. I wear Bubbles (CGM) and Navi (pump). I listen to Bubbles. I use Navi. I troubleshoot. I balance. I work on things.

And sometimes life happens. Sometimes restaurants give me regular Coke instead of diet and I'm too excited about a movie to notice. Sometimes sites fail. Sometimes Bubbles lies. Sometimes my body just gives me the finger and decides to not cooperate.

So stop shaming me for being a human.

5 comments:

  1. This is such a perfect post - I wish every doctor was required to read this!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you named your CGM Bubbles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes for fun interactions. The cat likes to try and steal Bubbles during the night, so my husband wakes up to "TIGERLILY, DON'T STEAL MY BUBBLES!" It also makes me feel sad when I want to chuck Bubbles across the room at 4AM when it's trying to tell me I'm low. Because who could be mad at something named Bubbles? :p

      Delete
  3. I love this post, and your blog! This is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! You nicely sum up something that is so hard to explain: Eating! I notice if I'm sick and not eating, my bgs are almost 'perfect'. I think - aha! That's the problem to this whole diabetes thing then...except, wait. I'm human. Not only do I mess up sometimes, but I also must eat. And I like to eat. Food is part of living life, part of life happening. There's really no way around that :)

    ReplyDelete