16 May 2013

Diabetes Blog Week 2013 Day 4: Accomplishments

This is the day 4 post for Diabetes Blog week from me! You can get more information here.

We don’t always realize it, but each one of us had come a long way since diabetes first came into our life. It doesn’t matter if it’s been 5 weeks, 5 years or 50 years, you’ve done something outstanding diabetes-wise. So today let’s share the greatest accomplishment you've made in terms of dealing with your (or your loved one’s) diabetes. No accomplishment is too big or too small - think about self-acceptance, something you’ve mastered (pump / exercise / diet / etc.), making a tough care decision (finding a new endo or support group / choosing to use or not use a technology / etc.).

I think there are many accomplishments that I've tackled over the past 11 years.

I've gotten my a1c back down, and I'm working on getting from the mid sevens to the sixes.

I've called and made appointments with doctors, and I hate making phone calls and I hate doctor appointments.

I've pulled myself out of diabetes burn out.

I've started on a CGM and I've been using it and listening to it.

I've been willing to try new medications to help control my diabetes (besides insulin), and even though all the ones I've tried so far have not worked (my endo says I must have hit the genetics jack pot to have all this stuff not work), I've been willing to keep trying.

But my biggest accomplishment? I'm at a point in my life where I'm okay with having diabetes and all my other genetic jack pot disabilities. I'm not fighting being who I am anymore.

And don't ask me how I got here, because I really have no clue.

4 comments: