10 September 2013

Invisible Illness Awareness Week 2013: 30 Things

It's Invisible Illness Week this week! I stole this list from here (and you should go read the rest of the blog!)

1. The illness I live with is: Type 1 diabetes, depression, sinusoidal tachycardia, PTSD, symptoms of OCD, chronic pain (currently something that no one wants to deal with)

2. I was diagnosed with it in the year: T1D-2002, depression-2006, sinusoidal tachycardia-2006, everything else is currently undiagnosed because my doctors don't want to deal with it

3. But I had symptoms since: T1D-2002, depression-2000, sinusoidal tachycardia-2004, PTSD-1999, symptoms of OCD-since always, chronic pain-2010

4. The biggest adjustment I’ve had to make is: Learning how to make life doable with each new wrench

5. Most people assume: I'm a lazy, fat person who ate too much sugar as a kid and just needs to try some cinnamon and try harder to be happy

6. The hardest part about mornings are: Finding the motivation to get out from under the covers

7. My favorite medical TV show is: I don't watch medical TV shows

8. A gadget I couldn’t live without is: My meter

9. The hardest part about nights are: Getting my mind to shut off to I can fall asleep

10. Each day I take: 9 (I think? I don't count any more and I'm too comfy to go look) 13 (I went and counted and I forgot about another one I take multiple times a day)npills and buttloads of insulin

11. Regarding alternative treatments I: Refuse to try unless there's multiple studies showing benefit. Why waste my money?

12. If I had to choose between an invisible illness or visible I would choose: To stick with what I know

13. Regarding working and career: I'm looking for work right now. Please hire me. :D

14. People would be surprised to know: I can appear to be extroverted when the circumstances are right

15. The hardest thing to accept about my new reality has been: How many people walked out of my life because of these new realities

16. Something I never thought I could do with my illness that I did was: Kick as much ass as I have

17. The commercials about my illness: Are so stereotypical, sometimes I facepalm

18. Something I really miss doing since I was diagnosed is: Not caring about my health and limits

19. It was really hard to have to give up: Attempting to be perfect at everything

20. A new hobby I have taken up since my diagnosis is: Activism!

21. If I could have one day of feeling normal again I would: Feel really weird, because "normal people" "normal" is just...not going to happen. Ever. It'd be like living in an alien's body for a day.

22. My illness has taught me: My limits

23. Want to know a secret? One thing people say that gets under my skin is: "Can you eat that?" Of course I can...unless you poisoned it. Then you can eat it.

24. But I love it when people: Fight with me against all the hateful ignorance

25. My favorite motto, scripture, quote that gets me through tough times is: You are not alone

26. When someone is diagnosed I’d like to tell them: You are not alone

27. Something that has surprised me about living with an illness is: The more things change, the more they stay the same. Another 5-10 years, waiting for results.

28. The nicest thing someone did for me when I wasn’t feeling well was: Let me rest and help me get what I needed to feel well again.

29. I’m involved with Invisible Illness Week because: Voices of all of us with invisible illnesses need to be heard

30. The fact that you read this list makes me feel: Grateful for you time!

No comments:

Post a Comment